ST Releases Compact 32-pin STM8 Nucleo Boards
Boards are based on the STM8S207K8 MCU with integrated debugger and programmer
STMicroelectronics is making designs starting with a 8-bit STM8 microcontrollers (MCUs) faster, more affordable, and more accessible for creative minds of all types by introducing new development boards in the easy-to-use Nucleo-32 form factor.
The compact boards are controlled and powered conveniently through a USB connection. An ST-LINK debugger/programmer is integrated, which saves using an external debug probe and allows simple drag-and-drop Flash programming. Arduino™ Nano pins simplify functional expansion using off-the-shelf shields and let users connect with open-source hardware communities. The boards are supported by major development toolchains including IAR Embedded Workbench for STM8 and Cosmic CXSTM8.
STM8 MCUs feature a high-performing 8-bit core, generous on-chip memory including up to 128Kbyte of Flash, and state-of-the-art peripherals shared with the STM32 MCU family such as timers, analog peripherals, CAN2.0B, and digital interfaces. The STM8 MCUs are a popular choice for creating smart sensors, actuators, and other products within tight power, space, and cost constraints.
The first available STM8 Nucleo-32 board, the NUCLEO-8S207K8, contains a 32-pin STM8S207K8 MCU, which provides features including 12 high-current outputs and multiple capture-compare channels.
Features of the NUCLEO-8S207K8 STM8 Nucleo-32 board include
- STM8S207K8T6C microcontroller in LQFP32 32-pin package
- 4 LEDs:
- USB communication
- 1 reset push-button
- Board connectors:
- ARDUINO® Nano V3 expansion connector
- Micro-B USB connector for the ST-LINK
- SWIM interface
- Flexible power-supply options: ST-LINK USB VBUS or external sources (3.3 V, 5 V, 7 V – 12 V)
- On-board ST-LINK/V2-1 debugger/programmer with SWIM connector and USB re-enumeration capability: mass storage, Virtual COM port and debug port
- Comprehensive free software STM8 libraries including a variety of software examples
- Support of a wide choice of Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) including STMicroelectronics free STVD-STM8 (using Cosmic toolchain), IAR™, Cosmic free IDEA
More information on the STM8 Nucleo-32 board is available on the ST website at STMicroelectronics STM8 Nucleo main page.
Note: STM32 and STM8 are registered and/or unregistered trademarks of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere. In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date, 4th December, 2019]