onsemi Releases New Ethernet Controller for Industrial Environments
The NCN26010 enables more than 40 nodes on a single twisted pair
onsemi has introduced its latest 10BASE-T1S Ethernet controller designed to provide reliable multi-point communication in industrial settings. The new NCN26010 enables more than 40 nodes on a single twisted pair, exceeding five times the amount of nodes requested by the IEEE 802.3cg standard, to reduce installation cost and set-up complexity.
For in-cabinet wiring, the NCN26010 reduces wiring up to 70% while significantly increasing bandwidth. In backplanes, it simplifies the layout and power distribution without impacting data rates or latencies. Many applications, such as elevators, will be able to increase data throughput over existing wiring with the new device and, due to the ability to carry power over data cables, complex sensor networks can be built upon simple and low-cost cable runs.
“The NCN26010 enables multi-drop networks which reduces the total number of networks for large installations,” said Michel De Mey, vice president of the Industrial Solutions Division, onsemi. “Customers benefit from our solution being smaller and easier to integrate than previous controllers.”
The new controller implements multi-drop 10BASE-T1S (802.3cg) Ethernet that is an effective replacement for legacy point-to-point and multi-point industrial communication standards. The T1S MAC/PHY can replace RS-485, CAN, RS-232, HART and others. As a result, greater data throughput is achieved over existing wiring, eliminating the need to re-pull wires which is often the greatest expense in a networking installation.
Single-Pair Ethernet installations based upon the controller reduce the number, volume, and cost of wiring while the multi-drop capability allows for multiple nodes, such as sensors, to be connected to a single twisted pair. The NCN26010 also features a proprietary enhanced noise immunity feature which is essential for installations in electrically noisy industrial environments.
Additionally, the NCN26010 has lower capacitance on the line pins than existing T1S solutions which allows for more nodes to be implemented on a single network. As the communication with the NCN26010 can be over SPI, the pin count is lower and the package size is smaller. The NCN26010 is the industry’s first PHY + MAC controller for 10BASE-T1S and can connect to controllers, sensors and other devices without the need for an external MAC.
Features of the NCN26010 Ethernet Controller include:
- Enhanced Noise Immunity Mode
- ENI extends the noise immunity to values well above the IEEE T1S standard
- Allows the NCN26010 to withstand worst-case DPI and BCI immunity tests
- Significantly improves the network reach when enabled, almost 2X better than competition
- Lowest Line Pin Capacitance
- Best-in-class line pin capacitance allows for the highest number of nodes per segment
- The NCN26010 supports up to 40 nodes on a 25-meter segment, well above the IEEE minimum standard
- Lowers cabling, connector, and installation costs
- Collision Detection Masking
- Masking detected collisions allows operation in noisy conditions
- Prevents false collision detection in high-noise environments
- When used in conjunction with ENI, the NCNS26010 has unparalleled noise tolerance
- PLCA Precedence Mode
- Lower PLCA ID's get precedence over higher ones
- Provides arbitration similar to CAN: The Coordinator (i.e., the head node) sends a new beacon once any station transmits
- Physical Layer collision avoidance PLCA
- Allows higher throughput in multi-drop topologies
- Two Configurable Digital Outputs that can Drive Low Current LEDs
- Supports systems where up to two LEDs can provide status indicators
- Open Alliance Compatible SPI Interface
- Conforms to Open Alliance TC6 specs for Configuration and Data Frames to Host MCUs
- MAC Address Filtering
- By filtering frames based on the destination address, Ethernet frames not intended for a certain node are not processed by the host, thus reducing the load
- The MAC will see the frame, process the address, drop it based on the filter criteria, and the host will not need to handle it
- Supports IEEE802.3 CSMA/CD Collision Detection
- PLCA mode will default to CSMA/CD collision detection, if needed
More information on the NCN26010 Ethernet Controller is available on the ONSEMI website at ONSEMI NCN26010 product page.
The onsemi website address is www.onsemi.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from onsemi - Release Date, 21st June, 2022]