ST Releases First 8-Pin 32-bit STM32 ARM Microcontrollers
8-pin STM32G0 devices combine performance, compactness, flexibility, and power efficiency
STM32 microcontrollers (MCU) from STMicroelectronics are now available in an 8-pin package,
enabling simple embedded projects to leverage 32-bit performance and flexibility in a compact and cost-effective outline.
The four new STM32G0 devices deliver a unique combination of 8-pin economy with a 64MHz Arm® Cortex®-M0+ CPU giving 59 DMIPS, up to 8Kbyte RAM and 32Kbyte Flash on-chip, and high-performing peripherals including a 2.5Msps ADC, high-resolution timer, and a high-speed SPI. With flexible mapping of I/O pins and internal MCU functions, designers can upgrade end-product functionality without trading board real-estate or bill-of-materials costs. The stability of the internal oscillator, which is accurate to ±1% over wide temperature and voltage ranges, also saves external clock components.
Benefiting from the proven low-power design features of the STM32 MCU family, the 8-pin STM32G0 devices are ready to take over in energy-conscious applications governed by battery-capacity limits, eco-design legislation, or market expectations such as appliance energy ratings.
The new MCUs also ease future scalability through the features available across the STM32G0 series, which offers up to 100 package pins, up to 512Kbytes Flash, additional high-performance analog peripherals, and cyber-protection features.
Features of the STM32G0 Series of Microcontrollers
- Core: Arm® 32-bit Cortex®-M0+ CPU, frequency up to 64 MHz
- Up to 64 Kbytes of Flash memory
- 8 Kbytes of SRAM with HW parity check
- CRC calculation unit
- Reset and power management
- Voltage range: 1.7 V to 3.6 V
- Power-on/Power-down reset
- Programmable Brownout reset
- Programmable voltage detector
- Low-power modes:Sleep, Stop, Standby, Shutdown
- VBAT supply for RTC and backup registers
- Clock management
- 4 to 48 MHz crystal oscillator
- 32 kHz crystal oscillator with calibration
- Internal 16 MHz RC with PLL option (±1 %)
- Internal 32 kHz RC oscillator (±5 %)
- Up to 44 fast I/Os
- All mappable on external interrupt vectors
- Multiple 5 V-tolerant I/Os
- 5-channel DMA controller with flexible mapping
- 12-bit, 0.4 µs ADC (up to 16 ext. channels)
- Up to 16-bit with hardware oversampling
- Conversion rate: 0 to 3.6V
- 11 timers (one 128 MHz capable): 16-bit for advanced motor control, one 32-bit and four 16-bit general-purpose, two low-power 16-bit, two watchdogs, SysTick timer
- Calendar RTC with alarm and periodic wakeup from Stop/Standby/Shutdown
- Communication interfaces
- Two I²C-bus interfaces supporting Fast-mode Plus (1 Mbit/s) with extra current sink, one supporting SMBus/PMBus and wakeup from Stop mode
- Two USARTs with master/slave synchronous SPI; one supporting ISO7816 interface, LIN, IrDA capability, auto baud rate detection and wakeup feature
- One low-power UART
- Two SPIs (32 Mbit/s) with 4- to 16-bit programmable bitframe, one multiplexed with I²S interface
- True random number generator (RNG)
- AES encryption with 128/256-bit key
- Development support: serial wire debug (SWD)
- 96-bit unique ID
More information on the 8-Pin STM32G0 series is available on the ST website
STMicroelectronics STM32G0 Series Page.
STM32 is a registered and/or unregistered trademark of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere. In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date, 19th September, 2019]