ST Release High-Performance LED Streetlight Reference Design
The 150 Watt Design features high efficiency and reduced electromagnetic interference
As more lighting applications switch to LED's to reduce power consumption and increase service life,
STMicroelectronics have released the EVL150W-HVSL LED-driver evaluation board and reference design.
This design helps designers integrate features that ensure high performance and reduce bill-of-materials (BOM) costs.
As a 150W, 1A mains-input driver, the EVL150W-HVSL achieves full-load efficiency above 91% to maximize utility-cost savings for streetlamp operators. Electromagnetic interference (EMI) is within relevant EN55022 limits and input-current total harmonic distortion (THD) less than 10% at 230V AC from 30% to 100% of full load meets European EN61000-3-2 Class-C and Japanese JEITA-MITI Class-C norms for lighting equipment.
The EVL150W-HVSL has a universal 90V-264V AC input and meets IEC 60950-1 and 62368-1 safety standards. The board supports analog, resistive, and PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimming modes, with flicker-free PWM dimming down to 1% at any frequency.
In addition, the board contains ST’s STCMB1 integrated power-factor correction (PFC) controller and high-voltage resonant half-bridge controller working with the LCC topology, which can deliver constant current independently of the output voltage and is therefore well suited to LED driving. Proprietary features of this device, such as the constant on-time PFC control, timeshift control of the resonant half-bridge, and hard-switching prevention, save external components and ensure superior dynamic performance and ripple rejection. The PFC and half bridge are synchronized when in burst mode, reducing light-load input power consumption to less than 0.5W. The compact 20-pin STCMB1 also integrates 800V startup circuitry as well as X-capacitor discharge and power-sequencing circuitry. No auxiliary power supply is needed.
Luminaires powered by the EVL150W-HVSL benefit from comprehensive protection including output-overload, output short-circuit, and open-loop protection, each with auto-restart capability to satisfy street-lighting application requirements.
Features of the EVL150W-HVSL LED-driver Board
- Universal input mains range: 90 to 264 Vac -frequency 45 to 65 Hz
- Half-bridge topology: LCC
- Max. output voltage and current: 150 V at 1 A continuous operation
- No-load mains consumption: < 0.5 W
- THD < 10% at 230 Vac from 30 to 100% of the full load
- No need of auxiliary SMPS (Viper or equivalent)
- Efficiency: > 91% at full load
- No electrolytic capacitors for long term reliability
- Conducted EMC: within EN55022-Class-C limits
- Safety: meets EN60950
- Dimming: analog, resistive, PWM (open collector)
- Feedback loops: constant current and constant voltage
- Protections: LED short-circuit, LED string open, regulation loop failure
- Dimensions: 69x157 mm, 28 mm components maximum height
For more information on the EVL150W-HVSL LED-driver Board, visit the ST Website at
STMicroelectronics EVL150W-HVSL product page
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 28th May, 2020]