ST Releases New Programming Tool for STM32 Microcontrollers
The new STM32CubeProgrammer can program STM32 microcontrollers via SWD, JTAG or bootloader ports
STMicroelectronics’ STM32CubeProgrammer software tool delivers device-programming and firmware upgrade
for STM32 microcontrollers in a unified, multi-platform, and user-configurable environment.
Ready to run on Windows®, Linux, or MacOS® operating systems, the STM32CubeProgrammer can program the
STM32 microcontroller’s on-chip Flash/RAM or external memories using various file formats.
Further capabilities include whole-memory or sector erase and programming microcontroller option bytes.
Users can also generate encrypted files for secure programming (Secure Firmware Install/Update) to
authenticate production and protect intellectual property.
With this universal tool, users can program STM32 microcontrollers through the device’s SWD (Single-Wire Debug) or JTAG debugging ports, or the bootloader ports (such as UART and USB). Hence the STM32CubeProgrammer brings the individual capabilities of the ST Visual Programmer, DFUse Device Firmware Update tool, Flash Loader, and ST-Link utility together within the STM32Cube ecosystem. ST will extend the STM32CubeProgrammer’s capabilities by adding programming access via microcontroller I²C and CAN ports.
Also, the STM32CubeProgrammer provides further opportunities to customize and configure features, using either the Graphical User Interface (GUI) or the Command-Line Interface (CLI). Furthermore, this all-in-one tool can be used in standalone mode or integrated and controlled from a custom application. Programming can be done manually or automated using scripts.
Features of the STM32CubeProgrammer Software Tool
- Erases, programs, views and verifies the content of the device Flash memory
- Supports Motorola S19, Intel HEX, ELF, and binary formats
- Supports debug and bootloader interfaces:
- ST-LINK debug probe (JTAG/SWD)
- UART, USB DFU, I²C, SPI, and CAN bootloader interfaces
- Programs, erases and verifies external memories, with examples of external Flash loaders to help users to develop loaders for specific external memories
- Automates STM32 programming (erase, verify, programming, configuring option bytes)
- Allows OTP memory programming
- Supports the programming and configuring of option bytes
- Offers a command-line interface for automation through scripting
- ST-LINK firmware update
- Enables secure firmware creation using the STM32 Trusted Package Creator tool
- STM32MP1 Series peripheral boot and flashing
- Supports OTA programming for the STM32WB Series
- Multi-OS support: Windows, Linux, macOS
For more information on the STM32CubeProgrammer Software Tool, visit the ST website at
STMicroelectronics STM32CubeProgrammer webpage
STM32 is a registered and/or unregistered trademark of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere. In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 21st December, 2017]