STMicroelectronics Introduces New NFC Type 2 Tag IC
The ST25TN512/01K NFC tag ICs are suitable for smart-city applications and support multiple user-protection and privacy mechanisms
STMicroelectronics' ST25TN512 and ST25TN01K NFC Forum Type 2 tag ICs deliver a new balance of cost and performance
for high-volume use cases like consumer engagement, product information, and brand protection.
Also suitable for smart-city applications and access control, the ST25TN512/01K NFC tag ICs support multiple user-protection and privacy mechanisms including a 7-byte unique chip-identifier code, TruST25™ digital signature, NFC Forum T2T permanent write locks at block level, and a configurable kill mode that permanently deactivates the tag.
Certified to NFC Forum Type 2 specifications, the ST25TN512 and ST25TN01K leverage ISO 14443 standards and can be used with NFC-compatible mobiles or a dedicated short-range reader. The embedded device memory includes up to 208 bytes (1664 bits) dedicated to user content.
Support for messages in NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF) allows triggering native actions on a smartphone without needing a dedicated app, such as launching a web browser or starting Bluetooth® pairing. Augmented NDEF (ANDEF) additionally enables reading dynamic information such as custom messages and unique tap codes without having to update the EEPROM.
Produced by a new in-house best-in-class manufacturing process that delivers better performance, ST's ST25TN512/01K NFC tag ICs contain an internal tuning capacitance of 50pF, which is a widely used value that allows plug-and-play integration by inlay manufacturers. The tags harvest energy from the 13.56MHz RF transmitter field and requires only an antenna to complete the design. Additional benefits include a wide operating-temperature range, as well as long data retention.
Key Features and Benefits of the ST25TN01K NFC Forum Type 2 tag IC include
- Includes ST state-of-the-art patented technology
- Contactless interface
- Full compliancy with NFC Forum Type 2 tag and ISO/IEC 14443 type A specifications
- Power supplied by 13.56 MHz transmitter field
- Data transfer at 106 kbit/s
- Anticollision support for management of several tags in the field simultaneously
- Natively supported by Android™ and iOS™ phones
- Internal tuning capacitance 50 pF
- Up to 208 bytes (1664 bits) dedicated to user content
- Accessible by blocks of four bytes
- NFC Forum NDEF format support
- Augmented NDEF (contextual automatic NDEF message)
- Data retention during 40 years at + 55 °C
- 100 000 Write cycles at + 85 °C
- Product identification and protection
- 7 bytes unique identifier
- TruST25 digital signature
- 3-digit unique tap code
- NFC Forum T2T permanent write locks at block level
- Privacy protection
- Configurable kill mode for permanent deactivation of the tag
- Temperature range
- -40 °C to +85 °C
For more information on the ST25TN01K NFC Forum Type 2 tag IC, visit the ST website at
STMicroelectronics ST25TN01K product page
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 29th November, 2021]