New Programmable 12-channel RGB-LED Driver Enhances Lighting Effects
The STMicroelectronics LED1202 can store eight programmable patterns and operate independently of the main controller
With patented features to prevent distracting artefacts in “color-chasing” or “deep breathing” LED animation effects,
the STMicroelectronics LED1202 12-channel LED driver enables smoother and more natural interactions
with smart-home devices, wearable electronics, and small appliances.
The LED1202 can store eight programmable patterns and sequences and operate independently of the main controller, enabling the host system to save power while sophisticated lighting effects run continuously. 12-bit internal PWM dimming enables precision control of programmed sequences and the main controller can set 8-bit values for analog dimming via the driver’s I²C interface. Minimal external components are required to complete the driver circuit.
With 12 output channels, a single LED1202 can drive four RGB LEDs at up to 20mA per channel. An innovative synchronization feature allows connecting up to eight LED1202 drivers to control larger LED arrays. In addition, superior low-current channel matching, within 2% (typical) at 2.5mA, enhances color consistency. Phase shifting between channels minimizes current ripple and prevents excessive peak demand. Built-in safety features include open-LED detection, over-temperature protection, and a fault-flag pin.
Features of the LED1202 12-channel RGB LED Drive include:
- Supply range from 2.6 V to 5 V
- 12 channels for single LED
- 20 mA current capability per channel
- 1% (typ.) current matching at 16 mA and 2% (typ.) at 2.5 mA
- 1.8 V compatible I²C control interface
- 8-bit analog dimming individual control
- 12-bit local PWM resolution
- 8 Programmable Patterns
- Programmable pattern sequence
- Synchronization for multi-device application
- Phase shifting between channels
- Open LED detection
- Overtemperature protection
- 8 configurable I²C slave addresses plus global address
- Fault flag pin
More information on the LED1202 12-channel RGB LED Driver is available on the ST website
STMicroelectronics LED1202 Product Page.
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date, 9th April, 2019]