ST Releases New Range of STM32L0 Low-Power Microcontrollers
New Range Features a 12-bit ADC, up to 192kB of Flash Memory and Full Speed USB2.0 Interface
STMicroelectronics has announced volume production of its ultra-energy-efficient ARM® Cortex®-M0+ STM32L0 microcontrollers,
with an extensive development ecosystem including minimal-cost boards and
free software tools that help developers keep tight control of application power consumption and minimize time to market.
Ideal for energy-sensitive applications including wearables, medical monitors, industrial sensors, and smart-living devices, the STM32L0 microcontroller (MCU) series achieves class-leading energy efficiency of 135 ULPMark™ -C certified and 158.7 ULPMark -C with a DC/DC converter. Moreover, ST's proprietary process technology is highly temperature-stable, ensuring the STM32L0 series has the best-in-class power consumption at 125°C thereby combining outstanding efficiency and robustness.
Three new product lines include the STM32L0x1 Access Line, STM32L0x2 USB Line with crystal-less USB2.0 Full Speed, and the HMI-ready STM32L0x3 USB/LCD Line. Memory densities are from 8KB to 192KB Flash, up to 20KB SRAM, and up to 6KB true EEPROM. In addition, a new 14-pin package option makes these the world's smallest STM32 MCUs, bringing 32-bit muscle to entry-level embedded applications.
Key energy-saving features of the new STM32L0 devices include a low-power ADC that draws only 41µA at 12-bit resolution and 10Ksample/s; energy-saving modes including 340nA Stop with full RAM retention and auto wake-up; a low-power pulse counter (16-bit timer) that remains available in ultra-low power mode; and 3.5µs wake-up from Stop. There is also an interconnect matrix that allows data handling to continue while the CPU is idle.
Software development is supported by STM32CubeMX and the STM32CubeL0 middleware and firmware suite. The STM32CubeMX initialization code generator and MCU configurator has easy-to-use wizards including a power-consumption calculator that helps evaluate and fine-tune the power budget. STM32CubeL0 includes a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) that simplifies porting to other devices within the pin- and code-compatible STM32 family. In addition, STM32Snippets provides optimized code samples. In total, STM32Cube provides over 200 free code examples. All STM32Cube tools are available free of charge, as are the ST-Link debugger and the DfuSe and Flash Loader tools that simplify using and testing the ROM bootloader.
To get started, only minimal investment is required in low-cost prototype boards, using the 32-pin small-form-factor Nucleo-32 boards for 16KB and 32KB variants or the 64-pin Nucleo-64 boards for 64KB and 192KB MCUs. A Discovery kit featuring an ePaper display and an Evaluation board with inductive-sensing circuitry are also available. Each board hosts an ST-Link hardware debugger that provides access to all MCU pins, and an Arduino-compatible connector that allows convenient functional expansion. ARM mbed™ compatibility gives developers free access to online tools at mbed.org.
Over 100 part numbers in the STM32L0 series are currently available, covering Flash densities from 8KB to 192KB, supported by free third-party development tools including KEIL™ MDK-ARM, Ac6 System workbench, and the GCC-based Atollic TrueSTUDIO Lite. Unlike other free IDEs, these tools are offered with no restrictions on features or devices supported.
Features of the top of the range STM32L083xx Microcontrollers
- Ultra-low-power platform
- 1.65 V to 3.6 V power supply
- 0.29 µA Standby mode
- 0.43 µA Stop mode
- Down to 93 µA/MHz in Run mode
- Core: Arm® 32-bit Cortex®-M0+ with MPU
- From 32 kHz up to 32 MHz maximum
- 0.95 DMIPS/MHz
- Up to 192-Kbyte Flash memory with ECC
- 20-Kbyte RAM
- 6 Kbytes of data EEPROM with ECC
- Up to 84 fast I/Os
- Reset and supply management
- Ultra-safe, low-power BOR
- Ultra-low-power POR/PDR
- Programmable voltage detector
- Clock sources
- 1 to 25 MHz crystal oscillator
- 32 kHz oscillator for RTC with calibration
- High speed internal 16 MHz factory-trimmed RC
- Pre-programmed bootloader
- USB, USART supported
- Development support
- Serial wire debug supported
- LCD driver for up to 4x52 or 8x48 segments
- Support contrast adjustment
- Support blinking mode
- Stepup converter on board
- Analog and Digital Converters
- 12-bit ADC 1.14 Msps up to 16 channels
- 2 x 12-bit channel DACs with output buffers
- 2 x ultra-low-power comparators
- Up to 24 capacitive sensing channels supporting touchkey, linear and rotary touch sensors
- 7-channel DMA controller, supporting ADC, SPI, I2C, USART, DAC, Timers, AES
- 11 x peripheral communication interfaces
- 1 x USB 2.0 crystal-less, battery charging detection and LPM
- 4 x USART (2 with ISO 7816, IrDA), 1x UART (low power)
- Up to 6 x SPI 16 Mbits/s
- 3 x I²C (2 with SMBus/PMBus)
- 11 x timers: 2 x 16-bit with up to 4 channels, 2 x 16-bit with up to 2 channels, 1 x 16-bit ultra-low-power timer, 1 x SysTick, 1 x RTC, 2 x 16-bit basic for DAC, and 2 x watchdogs
- CRC calculation unit, 96-bit unique ID
- True RNG and firewall protection
- Hardware Encryption Engine AES 128-bit
For more information on the STM32L0 Microcontroller Series, visit the ST website at
STMicroelectronics STM32L0 Series webpage
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 16th February, 2016]