New MEMS Inertial Module from STMicroelectronics
The LSM6DSR features an angular rate of 4000 degrees per second for fast-moving virtual reality games
STMicroelectronics have released a new MEMS Inertial Module designed for the next generation of
Virtual Reality (VR) headsets and gaming, as well as superior Augmented Reality (AR) for motion
sensing in new smartphones.
The LSM6DSR inertial module combines high stability with advanced digital features, low power consumption,
and small size for head-mounted displays, wearable trackers, smartphones, robotics, and drones.
The LSM6DSR MEMS System-in-Package contains a 3-axis digital accelerometer and a 3-axis digital gyroscope with a specially extended full-scale angular rate of 4000 degrees per second for fast-moving gaming and sports applications. Compliant with major mobile OSes, and supporting S4S Synchronization for Sensors, the LSM6DSR is compatible with popular mobile platforms and provides real, virtual, and batch sensing, with a 9Kbyte FIFO featuring compression for dynamic data batching.
To power more immersive virtual reality (VR) experiences in gaming and professional applications, the LSM6DSR also enables superior augmented reality (AR) on new smartphones. In addition, native advanced pedometer, step-detector and step-counter functions, and significant-motion and tilt detection ensure accurate and efficient activity recognition. On top of this, the LSM6DSR is ideal for use in sensor-hub and IoT devices, indoor navigation, and optical image stabilization (OIS) for drone-mounted cameras.
Superior stability is assured through enhanced mechanical design that minimizes bias and offset drift and temperature-related parameter change. This ensures long-term consistency and saves the host system from running complex recalibration thereby reducing power consumption and maximizing application performance.
Features of the LSM6DSR MEMS Module
- Extended full-scale range for gyroscope up to 4000 dps
- High stability over temperature and time
- Smart FIFO up to 9 kbytes
- Android compliant
- Auxiliary SPI for OIS data output for gyroscope and accelerometer
- ±2/±4/±8/±16 g full scale
- ±125/±250/±500/±1000/±2000/±4000 dps full scale
- Analog supply voltage: 1.71 V to 3.6 V
- SPI / I²C & MIPI I3CSM serial interface with main processor data synchronization
- Supports sensor synchronization S4S for Qualcomm, full spec compliant (I²C,MIPI I3CSM, SPI)
- Advanced pedometer, step detector and step counter
- Significant Motion Detection, Tilt detection
- Programmable finite state machine: accelerometer, gyroscope, and external sensors
- Standard interrupts: free-fall, wakeup, 6D/4D orientation, click and double-click
- Embedded temperature sensor
More information on the LSM6DSR MEMS Module is available on the ST website
LSM6DSR MEMS Module Product Page.
The STMicroelectronics website address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 19th June, 2019]